June 29 2013
Looking at my bank statement, I feel like the kid who ten years ago was still learning how to balance a budget that worked.
I figured that by now I'd have a lot more saved. Well, when I crunched numbers a few months back it seemed like I'd have a lot more saved. The fact is that I've been so used to seeing five digits in my savings account, I'm having a hard time only seeing a measly four.
I guess I need to be more realistic with where my money is going.
I managed to decrease my phone bill significantly, but I know I can do better. Once my contract is up, that will be the first thing to make a drastic cut.
My home rent and electric bills are laughable. Those do not worry me in the least. Gas for my car does not stretch out as far as it could considering I like to joy ride a little too much.
Aside from a few more things that I want to get for my place, I don't anticipate spending a lot more money.
I had to fork out much dough for my a special celebration for my nieces recently. On the bright side, I didn't have to technically take it from myself.
Been picking up extra work on the side so that is helping the money flow as well. I'm very, very grateful for the opportunities that have been and continue to present themselves to me. I am definitely grasping at them when I see them coming.
Bottom line: I need to set (and stick to dammit!) a realistic budget. My fixed expenses are going to be there no matter what ... I signed up for this.
I guess I'm still learning how to tread through it. But, I'm not sinking. My head is definitely above water.
June 02 2013
Are you ready to take the TOTFL ( Test of Tamil as a Foreign Language)?
1) What do you do with a Gujili?
a) Gujaals b) Gilma c) Gilpans d) Galij
2) What is a Jujubi ?
a) Something sweet b) An easy one c) A tough one d) An Alwaa
3) What is Alwaa?
a) Something you find in Tirunelveli b) What a girlfriend gives when she marries someone else
c) A laddu d) Jujubi
4) What is the respectful way to address a friend?
a) Machi b) Sir c) By name d) Aiya
5) Who is a 'Frooti' ?
a) A studious person b) A sportsman c) The professor d) A soft drink
6) When someone says 'nambittaen', what do they mean?
a) I don't believe you! b) Sure, I believe you c) Are you nuts?? d) I have to catch a bus
7) Who or what is Peter?
a) A tourist b) Someone who talks only in English c)Peter Jones d) Your teacher
8) For which of the following ! events will you say 'Gumbaloda Govinda'?
a) When you go to Tirupati as a group b) When the entire gang has been caught watching 'matter'-padam c) When you do group studies d) Meeting a Hindi actor
9) What is a 'rupture'?
a) Kadi b) Draabai c) Trouble d) Danger
10) When Someone refering to a woman as 'Seriyana Kattai'?
a) she is genius b) she is lean c) she had looted all guys eyes... d) she wears wooden chappals.
============ ========= ========= ========= ========= =
Refer the following Dictionary Of Madras Tamilu to pass in this TOTFL
Allwa - to cheat
Aatha - Mother
Abase - Loot adiththal
Alppam - A silly/cheap dude
Anna - The elder brother
Anni - Anna's figure
Appeettu - Unsuccessful Escape
Asaththal - Kalakkal
Bajari - A not-so-friendly figure
Bandha - Flim
Bekku - Fool
Body - Muscular Machi
Chithee - Aunty Figure
Dapsa/Doop - Lie
Desi Gujili - An Indian figure in US
Dhil - Courage
Dhool - Super
Dham - To smoke
Daavu - Site seeing
Dickielona - A friendly game played in Delhi (courtesy: Senthil &
Goundamani in the Movie Gentleman)
Damaram - Deaf
Dori - Squint-eyed Figure item - Young/Attractive Lady/Women/Girl
Freeyaavidu - Forget it
Gaali - Appeettu
Gujili - Figure
Guru - Head of the gang
Gujaals - Having fun with Gujilis
Gaanapaattu - Rap song sung by Machis
Galeej - Dirty
Gilli, Goli - Traditional games played in Madras
Goltti - A dude from Andhra
Jakku - An exclamation on seeing a not-so-Takkar figure (see Jil below)
Jollu - Bird watching
Jilpaans - Gujaals
Jute - Escape when caught up by girlfriend's father.
Jujubi - Easy
Jil - An exclamation on seeing a Takkar figure
Jalsa - Same as Gujaals
Kaattaan - Uncivilized/ Rude Machi
Kenai - Idiot
Kikku / Mabbu - Intoxicated/ under influence
Kalakkalls - To cause a flutter
Kanai pakri - Friend of ushar pakri
Kindal - To make Fun
Kaka adikarathu - Putting soaps to someone
K M L - Kedacha Mattum Labam
Kutti - Figure
Kudumba figure - Homeloving Gujli
Kudumba paatu - A song with which machis identify themselves
Kulls - A short machi
Laddu - Allva
Loot adiththal - to steal
Maams - One cool dude
Maanga - Fool
Machi - Maams
Mandai - A sharp guy
Mary - feminine of Peter
Mavu - refer O B.
Nachunu - Bull's eye
Nambitten - I don't believe you
Naattu Kattai - A well-built village figure
Naattan - Villager
Naamam - To cheat
Naina - Father (courtesy Telugu)
Kadalai - Machi talking to a Gujili or vice versa
OB- To waste time
Ottal - To make fun of some one
Ondrai anna - Worthless
Pattaani - Machi talking to Machi or Gujli talking to Gujli
Peter Party - Machi trying to show off by talking in hi-fi English
Pathni - A figure who goes around the block
Pakkri - A shrewd dude
Petta - Area
Pisaaththu - Cheap
Pillim - Show-off
Peela - To lie
Rambo - A manly figure
Sister - Often used by Machis while Approaching Figures for the first time
Songi - Lazy
Saanthu pottu - Possibility of getting beaten by a stick (courtesy Movie :
Takkar figure - Semma figure
Thanni - Liquor
Thalaivar - Leader
Tin katrathu - Getting into trouble (courtesy Movie: Anjali)
Ushar pakri - Smart pakri
Vennai - Fruit
Weightaana figure - A very attractive/rich figure
Wrong kaatradhu - Acting indifferently
June 01 2013
1. Butter'fly fly agum........ Catter'pillar pillar aguma?
2. Vaazha maram thaar podum! Aana adha vachi road poda mudiyuma??
3. Ennadhan aeroplane mela parandhaalum Petrol poda keelathaan varanum!
4. 'Hand wash'nna kai kazhuvaradhu, 'Face wash'nna mugam kazhuvaradhu, Appa 'brain wash' nna,, braina kazhuvaradhaa??
5. Tea cupla tea irukum.Appa world cupla world irukkuma??
6. Cell moolama sms anuppalaam Aana sms moolama cella anuppa mudiyuma??
7. Adyar Anandhabavan branch Chennai fulla irukkum aanna Adyar Alamarathoda branch adyar-la mattum than irukkum.. ithu than ulagam!
8. Ration card a vatchu simcard vangalam ana sim card a vatchu ration card vanga mudiyuma??
9. Nenga enna than thinee potu koli valathalum athu muta than podum 100 out of 100 elam podathu!
10. Kanna bus stop la bus than vanthu nikum! Ana FULL STOP la FULL vanthu nikuma??
11. Paaku marathula paaku irukum, Theaku marathula thaeku irukum, Aana pana marathula panam irukaadhu..!!!!!
12. Cycle la poana cycling, Train la poana training-a?
13. Mechanical engineer mechanic aagalam aana software engineer software aaga mudiyuma??
14. Kosu kadicha tortoise aethivakkalam aana tortoise kadicha kosu aethivakka mudiyumaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
15. Key boardla key irrukkum Anna Mother boardla mother irrukkuma??