Bipolar Success

May 16th, 2009

I have been thinking about what successful victims of chronic depressive disorder do. From my experience, my therapist and psychiatrists’ input, group therapy, and of course fellow bloggers, I have compiled a list.

We take our medication as prescribed and follow our psychs plan for us diligently.

Are we victims? Yes, maybe, however, can we see our illness as the means to understand ourselves? As Kay Redfield Jamison (An Unquiet Mind, Vintage Books) writes:

“I have often asked myself whether, given the choice, I would choose to have manic-depressive illness . . . I honestly believe that as a result of it I have felt more things, more deeply; had more experiences, more intensely; loved more, and have been more loved. . . . Laughed more often for having cried more often; appreciated more the springs, for all the winters…” We can pray for acceptance and even further to embrace our disease as a means to bring about a more passionate life.

As persons with chronic depressive disorder , we seek out those who can help us and rid ourselves from those that do us harm.

We go easy on ourselves. The smallest accomplishment is a great victory.

Journaling is our redemption. We cleanse ourselves of toxins and use our own words for healing and hope.

We read. Anything we can get our hands on that might help us with our journey.

Our support system is strong. It is our lifeline. When we are desperate, depressed, and devastated, we call upon others for strength.

We advocate for ourselves and others. I believe this is what makes us feel strong. Letting go of what we can’t change and picking up the things we can (and working those things with all our might) gives us purpose.

I hope and pray for success in the journey. For all of us.~

No comments: