Negative Reinforcement

June 5th, 2009

Yesterday, if is wasn’t already totally apparent, it was pointed out to me that my thoughts are constantly negative and that these negative thoughts can make me physically ill in a mater of minutes, sometimes even seconds. Rather than always focusing on the negative I was told:

* My illness is real
* Be happy
* Be healthy
* Be strong
* Be positive
* Be grateful

It was kind of like a slap in the face, one I needed to snap me out of it. So I thought, I’m going to put a heavy rubber band on my wrist and every time an unhealthy thought pops into my head, I’m going to snap that rubber band, snap it hard enough to leave a mark on my skin. So thats what I did. Last night as a negative thought entered my head, I would snap the rubber band and quickly snap my mind out of that track and rephrase my negative thought. I know its only short term but I feel great, it was so wonderful to have the chance to rest for just a brief moment and as one of my friends told me “that’s how it can be long term though, you moved yourself out of it, that’s what being present is.”

An example of how this works. Last night, as I was dragging myself around the house, the thought popped into my mind “why are you so tired?”. I snapped the rubber band hard, making my eyes water and I said to myself “why are you so tired? well, you got up early, had your breakfast, had your lunch, worked out all day, had dinner and went to bed, is it any wonder you are a bit tired? Go relax.” So I did.

Think Healthy.

No comments: