My Bicycle Memories

October 31 2010

 I was recently going through the photo album and I stalled on this particular photo. This bicycle picture spoke a million words and it pulled me back down memory lane and all those childhood memories flashed across my mind.
The first cycle in my life was actually a tricycle. It is still very much alive
The second cycle was a big bicycle. It was my cousin Shiva Anna's bicycle. It is in the picture.
The first bicycle that I ever rode was a BSA-SLR. And you know it was my 'cousin's cycle. I was ten years old then. The first monkey-pedal is very fresh in my memory along with my first girl friend Sharmi.(she is my uncles daughter too) I learnt to ride a bicycle in two days.
When I was fifteen, I got my first TVS champ 50cc bike. It was my dads bike. Each and every day there is a fight with my dad. I used it till class twelve

The last time I cycled was in the year 1996. Now it has been fourteen years. Time sure runs fast. I would like to talk about few techniques on mounting on top of a bicycle.
Mounting Technique

Mounting on top of a bicycle and parking your rear-end on the seat becomes a tough job if you are short like Sharmi. she stands a total of 140 cms. (Actually she is just 138.7 cms. But she has rounded it to 140cms). Mounting is very essential to ride a bicycle. There are two basic ways of mounting on top of a bicycle.
a) The Karate Kick technique

This is the easiest technique to get on top of a bicycle. The cyclist should use his hands to hold the handle-bar and he should stand on the left side of the cycle.The left leg should be placed on the pedal and using the right leg, the cyclist should generate velocity and when the cycle moves forward, the cyclist should perform the "Karate-Kick" move which would enable him to clear the bar and position his right feet on the right pedal of the cycle.
Care should be taken during the Karate-Kick move. If not properly performed, serious damage could happen on the groin-zone of the cyclist. The author of this blog has been a victim on a couple of occasions. Are you a victim too?

b) Monkey Pedal Technique

This is the basic way of pedaling in between the bars of a cycle to ride it. Instead of the "Karate Kick" move,the cyclist should leave his leg in between the center bar and pedal.

Now I have a question for the readers...
 why it is known as monkey pedal?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good question but no answer!!

Anonymous said...

It's an remarkable paragraph in support of all the internet visitors; they will take benefit from it I am sure.

Feel free to surf to my web page :: Loose Weight