Thankful therapy

January 20th, 2009

Yesterday, I went to see my therapist. Therapy helps me to organize my thoughts. I have so many. Sometimes I think my brain will explode with everything I think of. I spend a lot of time drumming up worries. My brain will prattle on telling myself things that may or may not happen. I talk about my thoughts with my therapist. She reminded me yesterday of some things I can be thankful for.

1. My heart no longer beats out of my chest with nasty panic attacks.

2. I had a great weekend.

3. Today is pay day.

4. I am enough. I am all I can be at the moment and that is okay.

This is the time of the year I begin to be thankful. I love the fall season. It reminds me to stop and consider the great things in my life instead of dwelling on everything that is wrong.  Also, coming out of depression makes it all the more important for me to focus on things that are going well. I have to discipline myself to maintain this line of thinking. Turning on the TV is hard right now. There is so much discussion about the uncertainty of things. That dialogue only adds to my stress. I try to avoid the news and rest in the good things that are.

“We may define therapy as a search for value.” Abraham Maslow

No comments: