The Lonely Side of Depression

February 11th, 2009

Isolation during a depressive episode increases loneliness. It is like a slippery slope because loneliness can further aggravate the depression. I try to find a balance. Too much interaction with others can make me nervous revoking my sense of calm. Not enough, however, can bring more sadness. Here’s a list of helpful ideas to overcome the symptoms of loneliness that proceeds depression:
1. Choose the right people to spend time with. I have found that it is important for me to spend time with those that understand my illness and what my needs are. I don’t pick high-maintenence people to hang out with when I am depressed. They tend to exhaust me further.
2. Face to face situations are really best. I know we don’t really want to leave the house, but we need to. I try to meet a friend for coffee or a coke. This way I am only spending about an hour. It gets me out of the house, gives me some conversation with others, and provides a little relief from the aching pain that continually gripes me.
3. I go out at times where I know the crowds will be less. I have found that lunch at 2:00 or dinner at 5:00 lend to less people providing me with more security. It makes my conversation with the person I am with more in-depth and less rushed.
4. When all else fails, call. Like I said face to face is better. It sorta rejuvenates the soul. When you just don’t think you can manage it, call someone to either stop by or to just spend a little time talking on the phone. The idea is to make contact with a supportive friend.
5. Write. This works for me. When I am writing I just don’t feel alone. This sounds like an oxymoron, but I get to know myself and for some reason the more time I spend with me the less lonely I feel. I also interact with my words and it somehow lifts my loneliness. Writing to me is like a good session of therapy.

No comments: